Monday, July 04, 2005

Living in the Aftermath of Live 8


Twenty years after the spectacular original, it was great to see a repeat event, and having watched the '85 version countless times on DVD, I think this one lived up to it. I'm still revelling in the whole experience, trying to download some of the sets (illegally shh), some with success.

Of course this excellent event gave me opportunity to see Madonna (I'd been counting the days), and it was totally worth it. Probably the best I've ever heard her sing, and glad she sang Like a Prayer, though a couple of the older renditions would have been even better. Alas, I'll take all I can get.

I wanna mention some other performances I loved:

  • Dido & Youssou N'Dour - Seven Seconds
  • U2 & Paul McCartney - Sgt. Peppers
  • Joss Stone - Super Duper Love
  • Razorlight - Vice
  • Coldplay & Richard Ashcroft - Bittersweet Symphony
  • Mariah Carey - Hero

I guess the question now though, is will it change anything?

We can only hope that Bush stops taking his cushy life for granted and wake up to what's going on in the world. Yeah, I know it might be a little unfair to just criticise Bush. There are other leaders as well. But jesus, the man has only just realised that global warming is happening never mind trying to prevent it. For a man with such power as he has, he shows no acknowledgment of any other country but the US (Oh, and Iraq of course). Come on George, try and give us something (anything) good to remember you for. The day you cease presidency will be a day when the world gets infinitely safer, and considerably wiser.

No comments: