Sunday, July 17, 2005

Broomsticks at the Ready

Oh yes. The moment I've been waiting for for the best part of two years. The sixth (and penultimate) installment of the Harry Potter series. After reading all five up to now, the first being back in the late 90's, I'm officially a HP geek, and proud of it. The books are imaginative, and still remain as entertaining for me now as they were when I was a relative youngster. I don't care what anyone says -- Miss Rowling deserves her millions. Bravo.

For those of you who don't know about the Potter collection (so that means people stuck in a timewarp from '98 through to '04), they're about a normal lad who one day finds that he's been invited to Hogwarts School of Wizardry due to his wizard descent. He's also crossed swords with an evil and devilishly powerful villain who also killed his parents, but I won't go into that. Anyway, they've basically annihilated the rest of the competition in the book world. She is a rich rich woman that J.K. Rowling.

So the sixth one (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) has just arrived on bookshelves around the world, and I got my copy today. I think I may have to have a little reflection on the fifth novel, just to recap my memory. This was two years ago remember. I've been deprived. On a note about the films, I've only seen the first one, although I will probably view the other two. In honesty, the first one was good, but you can't really bring to life the books in a way that it will satisfy all Potter fanatics. Nevertheless, they're well made.

An off-topic note: It's the final day of The Open tomorrow, so I'm not sure I'll be able to write any reviews. Perhaps in the evening. I do however have a complete review of Hitch, which I will write-up and post tomorrow. I'll tell you now that I was a little surprised about it. More tomorrow though.

Sleep tight.

No comments: