Thursday, February 07, 2008

Redundancy?

So I work in a Sainsbury's Convenience store situated literally a minutes walk from my house, which is obviously very handy. I only work there 11 hours a week -- sunday morning, and monday evening, but I've been there for 2 and a half years so everyone knows me. Today I went in to get some groceries and my manager called me into her office to read a memo she'd received from head office.

Apparently, our store is "unsuitable" for upgrade to a bigger Sainsbury's outlet, and so it's now on the market. This isn't entirely a surprise, as there have been rumours for the past year, but it means that either: a) Another company will buy the store and decide whether they want to keep the staff on, b) I will be transferred to another Sainsbury's store in the area, or c) I'll be made redundant :'-(

I am kinda in two minds about this, as I have been craving some kind of life change, and to meet new people etc. so another job would help. I also wanna try and get into a field I'm interested in. But it is the only job I've ever had, and I get on with all the staff so well, that it will hurt to leave. I suppose everything changes huh? I'll resist bitching at Sainsbury's and general corporate bitches who want to eradicate the essence of community and the 'corner shop'. But yeah. It's hard to take.

No comments: