Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oscars! Final Predictions [Cinematography, Editing and Effects]


Cinematography

“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”
“Atonement”
“The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”
“No Country for Old Men”
“There Will Be Blood”


Should Win: If you've got it , flaunt it. Elswit's work on 'There Will Be Blood' is wonderfully natural, but the shameless showing off by McGarvey in Atonement works for me. Underlining epicness.

Will Win: Deakins is nominated twice, and No Country has probably shaded the critics' choice in this category anyway, so I'm inclined to go for that. The Academy could however choose to reward the technically showy Diving Bell here, since it's unlikely to win anything else. Decisions, decisions. I'm gonna stick with Deakins.


Film Editing

“The Bourne Ultimatum”
“The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”
“Into the Wild”
“No Country for Old Men”
“There Will Be Blood"

Should Win: I've only actually seen two of these, although I'm finally catching Diving Bell tomorrow. Of the two, No Country is much more accomplished in this department than the ambitious but admittedly faltering There Will Be Blood. And the editing doesn't escape Blood's list of flaws either.

Will Win: I'm quite wary of predicting No Country to win too many awards in a year where there are so many wonderfully-crafted films. I wouldn't be surprised if it took editing too, but I'm gonna place my bets on The Bourne Ultimatum, which is surely impressive in this area, and an award here would please its many fans.



Visual Effects

“The Golden Compass”
“Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”
“Transformers”


Should Win: Transformers. Wonderful FX.

Will Win: I think the Art Direction nomination for Golden Compass suggests that AMPAS are very impressed with the film visually, and so I expect it to win.

No comments: