Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Predicting the Brits!

So tonight it's the biggest music awards ceremony in Britain, the originally-titled Brit Awards. Last year I did unbelieveably bad in my predictions, so I'm hoping to save face a little this year. Here are my predictions...

British Male Solo Artist

Jamie T
Mark Ronson
Mika
Newton Faulkner
Richard Hawley


If I had a vote it would go to... Jamie T, whose album I definitely prefer to Ronson's, and whose two leading singles, 'Calm Down Dearest' and 'Sheila', I prefer to Mika's 'Grace Kelly' and 'Love Today'.

But I think the Brit is going to... Mark Ronson (probably). Mika has a lot of fans, and sings his own stuff which is obviously an advantage, but Timbaland and Kanye West's nominations in the international equivalent of this category probably means the Brits are as taken by the expanded role of the Producer as the rest of the world.

British Female Solo Artist

Bat For Lashes
Kate Nash
KT Tunstall
Leona Lewis
PJ Harvey

If I had a vote it would go to... BAT FOR LASHES! Excellent album. Creative genius.

But I think the Brit is going to... Leona Lewis, since her single and album broke records this year, and she seems to have risen above the reality tag. Good for her but I'm not sure the material she's put out so far beats any of her competitors this year, who all had pretty stellar albums, perhaps with the exception of Kate Nash, who had a killer single.


British Group

Arctic Monkeys
Editors
Girls Aloud
Kaiser Chiefs
Take That


If I had a vote it would go to... Girls Aloud (!), who have waited too long for this nomination, and put out my favourite album of the year last year.

But I think the Brit is going to... Take That. Everyone loves a comeback. Although if they feel guilty enough about snubbing Girls Aloud for the past four years, who knows? I have to say, with the amount of talent in this country I'm pretty disappointed with these nominees. Editors? Kaiser Chiefs? Take That? Boring.



Mastercard British Album

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
Leona Lewis - Spirit
Mark Ronson - Version
Mika - Life In Cartoon Motion
Take That - Beautiful World


If I had a vote it would go to... Mark Ronson, in a bit of a meh category. I think his album feels a lot fresher than the Monkey's effort, which didn't vary enough from their mind-blowing first for my liking. Leona Lewis' first two singles are good but I've heard the album is littered with ballads. Not good.

But I think the Brit is going to... Take That. I don't really feel like saying much more, except that I'm fairly certain that these four comeback kids and Leona Lewis will be taking the most awards home this evening.

British Breakthrough Act

Bat For Lashes
Kate Nash
Klaxons
Leona Lewis
Mika


If I had a vote it would go to... Bat. For. Lashes. I do have a lot of time for the Klaxons though, and I'm glad they're there.

But I think the Brit is going to... Leona Lewis ... or the Klaxons... but probably Leona Lewis.

British Live Act

Arctic Monkeys
Kaiser Chiefs
Klaxons
Muse
Take That


If I had a vote it would go to... Klaxons. I like their sound, and they've been bursting with energy any time I've seen them perform on TV.

But I think the Brit is going to... Take That, who had a lot of media coverage regarding their theatrical tour, and so this award would make sense.


British Single

Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
Mika - Grace Kelly
Take That - Shine
Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby

Sugababes - About You Now
Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse - Valerie
Kate Nash - Foundations
The Hoosiers - Worried About Ray
James Blunt - 1973
Mutya Buena - Real Girl


If I had a vote it would go to... Kate Nash. 'Foundations' is SO original and lyrically brilliant. She doesn't carry it off half bad either. Gotta have a lil' bitch about two of these songs in particular. 'Ruby', which completely gets on my tits, and '1973', which is the type of song your Grandad thinks IS from 1973, until you tell him that that's just how James Blunt exercises his pedestrian artistry.

But I think the Brit is going to... Ronson & Winehouse. Amy was snubbed badly for these awards and there has to be an amount of guilt there, especially as she's allegedly on the mend. Plus if they don't choose 'Valerie', they may have to actually decide (shock! horror!) between Leona Lewis and Take That.


International Male Solo Artist

Bruce Springsteen
Kanye West
Michael Buble
Rufus Wainwright
Timbaland

If I had a vote it would go to... Timbaland. Three excellent songs, and probably another coming up with Madge (we hope!). I don't enough about Wainwright and I'm not a Kanye fan.

And would you believe it? I think the Brit is going to... Timbaland. It could yet go to Kanye, but he's won this before, and this may sound a bit harsh but I think he's been gettin kinda lazy to be honest.


International Female Solo Artist

Alicia Keys
Bjork
Feist
Kylie Minogue
Rihanna


If I had a vote it would go to... Rihanna. I adore Bjork with all my heart, but major tunes have been coming from Rihanna in the last two years.

And I think the Brit is going to... Rihanna. There will certainly be a temptation to reward Kylie's comeback, and her album nomination suggests she is popular this year, but I don't think Rihanna can be ignored this year. Although she did basically curse our Summer. Maybe they hate her.


International Group

Arcade Fire
Eagles
Foo Fighters
Kings Of Leon
White Stripes


If I had a vote it would go to... Arcade Fire. Nothing else need be spoken.

But I think the Brit is going to... The Eagles. We loved them here. Plus their album has done brilliantly.


International Album

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Kings Of Leon - Because Of The Times
Kylie Minogue – X


If I had a vote it would go to... Arcade Fire - Neon Bible. I recently bought this and was blown AWAY. I could listen to 'Black Mirror' all day.
And if there is any justice, I think they might, might, MIGHT just give it to the universally adored 'Neon Bible' by Arcade Fire. The Eagles will be there or thereabouts but I'm hoping they get it right this time.

No comments: