Monday, January 28, 2008

The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn Is To Link, and Be Linked In Return

On my vague memorised list of blogging New Year's resolutions (the non-blogging ones were less interesting and far too focused on drinking and spending less - boo!) was that I simply must link more. There are so many witty and insightful posts on witty, insightful blogs that both entertain me and motivate me to write more. So it's time I appreciate that. I'm gonna lengthen my list of favourite blogs (on the sidebar) too, because I'm discovering new blogging troves of goodness on a regular basis. ModFab, the cultural haven, points out in an unabashedly rousing post, that nobody links to his blog -- a crime of which I am an offender -- and thus proceeds to unite the blogosphere in an almost Mahatma Gandhi/Martin Luther King-esque fashion (Yes, I just did). Well, it worked, although I'd like to stress that this is one of my resolutions, so I was gonna do this anyway! :-P I'm not so easily influenced, although I could be persuaded by Romulo Arantes Neto (third times always a charm ModFab). I'd happily kidnap this guy, except that that's kind of a role reversal for me... perhaps I could bribe him to kidnap me?

Another of my favourite bloggers, and my ultimate favourite film critic, is Nick Davis. His site NicksFlickPicks just celebrated its 10th anniversary. A major milestone. I surf his site regularly, whether it's to read one of his countless, mind-numbing, and incredibly deep reviews, or to search out a grade for some random 1956 film I've just seen. I was dying to know his thoughts on Come Back, Little Sheba, a film I absoloutely loved. He didn't have a grade up for it, so I e-mailed him and he promptly responded with his thoughts. He's not keen on the film actually but that isn't the point. Haha. A classy, lovely guy. And SO cute.

Also, I simply must single out Nathaniel, who, had I not stumbled upon his brilliant site The Film Experience, back when I was searching out Oscar commentary on 2003's Cold Mountain snub, and way before I even knew about critics awards and precursors, I wouldn't know any of the other bloggers mentioned in this post, and probably wouldn't even have a blog. His podcast with Marisa Tomei endears the pair of them to me, and the SAG dicussion afterwards is great. I don't really have any Oscar obsessives to chat with here in North-East England (cue the violins), and it's kind of comforting to listen to people discuss awards in the way that you see them write about them. If you know what I mean.

So here come a flurry of links that will transport you to a host of beautiful and intelligent people scattered all around the globe...

All About My Movies: Distresses me with her weird infatuation with Peter Crouch, though I do admire your dedication to the sport Emma.

Canadian Ken On...: Actually liked Elizabeth: The Golden Age?! The first person I've seen admit to doing so. Ballsy.

The Cellar Door: Clearly loves this year in film. No quabble with the SAG results and none of Oscar's BP lineup scores lower than an A- grade.

Cutting Room Reviews : Completely trods all over Little Children (pun unintentional) with his brilliant review. I know that's SO last year, but it's the thing I remember most about this neat blog.

The Gilded Moose: Hilariously offensive about John McCains wife. Harsh but he is a republican.

The Glorious Diatribe: Has an in-depth look at next year's possible Supporting Actor candidates. It never ends, does it?

Goatdogblog: Can't begrudge proclaiming 300 as the year's pinnacle in Visual Effects. I feel the same way, however much its aesthetic obsession repelled me.

In The Mood For Blog: Didn't like 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days! Anything to be different.

Joe's Movie Corner: Incorrectly predicted that Cate Blanchett would win the SAG. But then that's no crime. The crime here is who actually did win it (sorry, I did warn of Dee-dissing this month -- I don't care how legendary she is).

Low Resolution: LOVES Anna Faris. And why shouldn't he? Is there anyone better at playing the bimbo?

Mainly Movies: Reminds me how good Sam Rockwell was in Jesse James, with his sixth-place Supporting Actors. One of them is totally making my five (wait till the end of February).

Pink Is The New Blog: Manages to capture Kylie looking fabulous and Mika looking awful. Way to go.

Queering The Apparatus: Finds himself puzzled about some of the Oscar nominations (aren't we all?) and also has a cute boyfriend. I officially hate him.

Rural Juror: Is a bloggie nominee! Awards, Awards, Awards, Awards, Awards. Congrats!

Stale Popcorn: Owes me an apology for depressingly bringing up one of the biggest Oscar injustices ever, the 2003 Supporting Actress gong (and I even like Cold Mountain (which I'm now gonna have to add to the labels seen as I've mentioned it twice already in this post) .. maybe time for a repeat viewing?)

StinkyLulu: Has a wonderful write-up of Atonement's sole nominated Actor, Saoirse Ronan. And thanks again Bri for letting me take part in a Supporting Actress Smackdown. Was great fun!

Strange Culture: Was in the same room as Daniel Day-Lewis. Jealousy is a vast understatement.

Victim of the Time: Makes me ashamed for having not seen Sense and Sensibility, and seems to agree with me about The Kite Runner, a review of which I'll post tomorrow. Hint: It's awful.

O.K. I think that's it. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone. If there's anyone I haven't mentioned that links to this blog I'd be more than happy to exercise some more linkage. I'll be adding all these to the sidebar and making a point of linking more often. Signing out...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I wasn't cool enough to make the list. ;-(

Anonymous said...

Just kidding. :-) Thanks for linking all of these great blogs, including ModFab. A marvelous list!

Calum Reed said...

Hahaha. No problem ;-)

Just running out the door to see Sweeney Todd and In The Valley of Elah. Double dose of Best Actor goodness on the way! Woohoo!

X

DL said...

This is so something I need to start doing as well. And considering that all I do on the internet is read these fabulous blogs over and over again, I don't really comment that often either. Well, there's two things I should add to my never-ending to-do list.

Anyway, thanks for the linkage! :P

(And more importantly, I get my own friggin' label! Sa-weet!)

Yaseen Ali said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Calum! That's very kind. I'm looking forward to catching up on all your posts (from the looks of my blog, it's obvious that I haven't been around for a while.)