Thursday, August 04, 2005

What I've Been Up To..

Bonjour mes amis!
Letting you know what I've been up to:
Latest Films Seen:
  • Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
  • Unfaithful (2002)

Yeah.. so I got Dynamite off of Sky Box-Office, as admittedly it looked quite cool. Altogether though, it is a bit of a misfire, pretending to be something more than it actually is. Of course, it's quirkier than your average high-school comedy, but we shouldn't forget that it uses the same jokes, and to relatively limited effect. It kinda reminded me of a Harry Enfield sketch as well. I don't know if you've ever seen the Kevin sketch that Enfield does, which also spurned the film Kevin and Perry Go Large. Anyway, essentially it makes the same mistakes, as it basically has the same jokes all the way through. This should never belong as a movie.

As for Unfaithful, where to start? I must concede that overall, I did quite like it, but why I liked it is the most puzzling part. The more I reflect upon the movie, the more I find myself falling in love with Diane Lane. She is just brilliant, and probably the only reason that this film is worth a watch. It definitely works, but I can't help feeling it falls short of what it could have been. Lane is incandescent, and I recommend people see it just to catch a glimpse of her.

Reviews Written:

  • Million Dollar Baby (2004)
  • The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2004)

I've made clear my contempt for Million Dollar Baby, and its seemingly very shallow underlying premise. As for its Best Picture win, I'm still glad that it won. Mainly because it shows that the academy voted for the one that they liked -- The Aviator, though a better film, would have been the routine Oscar pick. Call it one step forward anyway, even though the rest of the awards put them about ten steps back. Life Aquatic is less problematic, and more disappointing. There isn't anything in this film that I wouldn't mind being universally destroyed, and that's worrying. It's a nothing film, and really it kind of makes it a waste of money. Of course, the question still remains whether any money spent on Bill Murray is wasted money. Ask me after Broken Flowers.

Reviews are up on the site

About to See:

  • Marnie (1965? - Don't quote me on that)
  • The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Continuing my surge through the Hitchock collection, which I fully intend to complete, I prepare to view Marnie, which I believe is one of his more restrained efforts. With Sean Connery and Tippi Hedren I fully expect to enjoy this, but we'll see, one thing I will say is that I've thoroughly enjoyed every Hitchock flick I've seen so far. Hoping this one won't buck the trend. As for Tenenbaums, I realise that I've just totally trashed Life Aquatic in my review, but Wes Anderson's former effort is supposed to be better. It ought to be anyway -- the cast assembled is pretty damn talented. Still.. I can't help reflecting on the pointlessness of the two hours Team Zissou spent trawling the ocean, a couple of hours I would gladly eradicate from my memory. I expect an improvement.

So there you have it. Expect another update tomorrow :)

No comments: