Friday, February 09, 2007

Oscars 2006: Who Should/Will Win? [Minors]

Hey..

Since I've seen the vast majority of nominees (including all the acting ones -- for the first time ever I might add), I'm going to assess who I think should win, and who I think will win. First up are all the minor categories..

Best Animated Film

Cars
Happy Feet
Monster House

Who deserves to win? 'Happy Feet'! As much as I really enjoyed 'Monster House', the dancing penguins comfortably get my vote. It's the most creative and energetic animation in years, wonderfully manifesting existing pop songs into its rapturous exercise. It's also incredibly poignant.

Who will win? Probably 'Cars'. Pixar still rule the roost when it comes to animation -- even when it's considerably second-rate by their standards.

Best Art Direction

Dreamgirls
The Good Shepherd
Pan's Labyrinth
Pirates 2
The Prestige

Who deserves to win? 'Pan's Labyrinth' by a country mile. 'The Prestige' has very interesting art direction but it's not on the level of Pan's wacky, sinister fantasy.

Who will win? I think it's probably between Pans and 'Dreamgirls'. I'll go for Pans. The girls will probably get two major awards, and surely a song prize, and Pans has much more momentum.

Best Cinematography

The Black Dahlia
Children of Men
The Illusionist
The Prestige
Pan's Labyrinth

Who deserves to win? I must admit to not fully remembering Dahlia's cinematography, but let's be honest, who wants to? Not when Lubezki's masterful camerawork is available here. He deserved it last year as well.

Who will win? I think probably 'Children of Men'. Lubezki is a big name, plus its major competition, Pans, will pick up prizes elsewhere.

Best Costume Design

Curse of the Golden Flower
The Devil Wears Prada
Dreamgirls
Marie Antoinette
The Queen

Who deserves to win? Canonero's divine costumes in Marie Antoinette. If there was ever a collection of dresses deserving of the term 'powerhouse'. These are it.
Who will win? Lots of people don't like Marie Antoinette. I'm hoping this doesn't interfere with the race too much, but still, I'm thinking 'Dreamgirls' could take this, being the biggest film there. Plus the costumes are great.

Best Film Editing

Babel
Blood Diamond
Children of Men
The Departed
United 93

Who deserves to win? 'United 93'. All of these have great editing but United's is so crucial to the feel and the mood of the film, and it's flawlessly executed.
Who will win? It's the type of award they give to films that have multi-narratives, so I think 'Babel' will probably get this. I certainly wouldn't rule out Schoonmaker though. They love her.
Best Makeup
Apocalypto
Click
Pan's Labyrinth

Who deserves to win? Probably 'Apocalypto'. I really don't have much of an opinion here.

Who will win? Well I certainly am not ashamed to say that I haven't seen 'Click'. Something tells me though that people are not going to want it deemed an Oscar winner. There are plenty snobs out there. I think the smart money is on 'Apocalypto', given the level of violence in the film as well as the tribal markings.

Best Original Score

Babel
The Good German
Notes on a Scandal
Pan's Labyrinth
The Queen

Who deserves to win? Desplat's beautiful Queen score. Just gorgeous. It adds a contemplative element to the film almost single-handedly.

Who will win? I think Desplat will. This will be a tight race. Santaolalla won last year, but 'Babel' uses its score very well in the film. Newman isn't out of it either.

Best Sound Editing

Apocalypto
Blood Diamond
Flags of our Fathers
Letters From Iwo Jima
Pirates 2
Who deserves to win? I think the sound in Gibson's film is excellent, and really helps to build intensity. Eastwood's Flags uses it better though. The war scenes harrowingly vast in authenticity and effect. I haven't yet seen Jima.

Who will win? I fancy Jima probably will, since it likely won't win anything else. Also Eastwood has 2 in this category.
Best Sound Mixing

Apocalypto
Blood Diamond
Dreamgirls
Flags of our Fathers
Pirates 2

Who deserves to win? Flags again. Although 'Dreamgirls' has plenty to appreciate on the sound front.

Who will win? Dreamgirls. When in doubt, pick the musical.

Best Visual Effects

Pirates 2
Poseidon
Superman Returns

Who deserves to win? Definitely 'Poseidon'. Breathtaking, breathtaking stuff.

Who will win? Pirates. 5 Nominations + major box office leader. It's a done deal.

No comments: