Sunday, September 04, 2005

Love.Angel.Music.Baby

Yesterday I went out and bought myself a copy of Gwen Stefani's debut solo album, 'Love, Angel, Music, Baby'. I've been a fan of Gwen since her No Doubt days with tunes like 'Don't Speak', 'Hey Baby' and 'It's My Life'. Her voice has a recognisable presence and you can really feel that she means what she's saying.


The main reasons I bought it though was a) I liked Gwen's first four tracks that she released from the album (What You Waiting For, Rich Girl, Hollaback Girl, and Cool) and b) because I needed to buy another pop album. The pop industry has been rather dormant lately, and until its crowned Queen Madonna returns to liven the world once again in November, Stefani is doing a great job in filling her boots.


Some of the songs really sound like Madge, and the kinda stuff she used to do. I could never grow tired of it. Tracks like 'Serious', which is god damn amazing, and 'The Real Thing' have that 80's vibe but Gwen still gives it her personal touch. Like Mrs. Ritchie, Ms. Stefani does not have spectacular range of voice -- good but not spectacular -- but it's the charisma and originality that she gives to her songs that distinguish her above all of the pop pretender wannabes of which I won't even grace by placing their name in the same paragraph as these two maestros.
I'd give the album a 9/10, as it's excellent, barring a couple of mistakes, 'Bubble Pop Electric' and 'Long Way To Go'. I urge you to go out and buy it. Trust me.

No comments: