Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Anthony Minghella (1954-2008)


What a loss the last few months have been for the film industry. Several minutes ago I read that Anthony Minghella has died at the relatively young age of 54. Minghella is a director I enormously respect, crafting at least one classic film, the exquisite The English Patient (1996), for which he won an Oscar, and the marginally less wonderful, The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999). Aside from that, I melt at countless moments during Cold Mountain (2003), and have a lot of admiration for 2006's Breaking and Entering. I think those are the only four of his films I've seen. This situation, sad as it is, will at least encourage me to rent those I didn't manage to catch.
R.I.P

2 comments:

Dave said...

I was really blindsided when I read that. Truly saddening. I was really looking forward to The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency at the weekend, but now it'll be tinged with sadness knowing the helmer is gone.

Jason said...

Aw, shucks. What a great loss. my condolences to his family and friends.