Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscars! Final Predictions [The Big Two]

Best Picture

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Should Win:
My favourite is Atonement.

Will Win:
I'd like to begin by saying that this is one of the greatest BP lineups Oscar has ever had. Truly a brilliant representation of the year. Michael Clayton is my least favourite of these, and I might be a little miffed if it wins, but I don't think it will. For me it's a battle between the film that's at the top of every important list this year, No Country For Old Men, and the film that everyone loved, Juno. And I actually think that lil Juno is gonna take this award. $100m+ at the box office, a nomination for its director (more than Little Miss Sunshine's directors managed last year, and that was surely in contention for the win), and the endorsement of two major players in the Oscar game, Roger Ebert and Oprah Winfrey. Personally, I'd be thrilled if it won.

Director
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country For Old Men
Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton
Jason Reitman - Juno
Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Should Win:
Probably the Coens. Or PTA.

Will Win: The Coens
. They're stronger than their film because it's so admirably crafted.

No comments: